The Little Children and Jesus
3-7 year olds
1. The Opening Prayer: "Lord Jesus, you have always welcomed small children and you blessed them. Help us in our daily life love you in our little hearts and through our little acts of kindness. Amen"
2. Introduction. Today's Gospels reminds us that children were very loved by Jesus. In ancient time children were not seen in public places, but at home with parents. The Gospel says that Jesus was delighted to see children and give them His blessing. Even more, He told adults that children are very close to the Kingdom of God. In our Sunday School we have the opportunity to say "thank you" to Jesus for that special, close relationship with children.
3. The video clip with the song:
4. The video about Jesus and children:
5. We can colour the picture of Jesus with the children (below)
Lord God, your Son Jesus loved the children. We thank you for St Mary's Church and our Sunday School, where we can learn about your love.
Today we pray for all children in the world, especially those who are not well or sad.
We pray for all children in Twickenham, in our local nurseries, schools and colleges.
We also pray for these who work with children, may they be always patient and kind.
We pray for our families.
7. We finish our prayers with the Lord's Prayer (words at the bottom of the page).
Ages 8 years+
1. The Opening Prayer: "Lord Jesus, today's Gospel reminds us about your special love and attention given to children. You are very close to each of us. Help us to respond with acts of kindness to your love. Amen.
2. Read The Gospel of Mark, Chapter 10, verses 13-16.
Mark 10:13-16 New International Version (NIV)
The Little Children and Jesus
13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.
Why did the disciples rebuke parents for bringing children to Jesus? What do you find interesting in Jesus' attitude towards children? Why does the Kingdom of God belong to children. What have you found the most joyful when you were little? What was the most difficult? Let's share some memories from our childhood.
3. Watch this clip:
4. As Jesus loves children, if you could ask Him for something, what would you ask?
Lord Jesus, we thank you for reminding us that we are so important to you. Today we pray:
- for all children and teenagers, may they grow in happiness.
- for our teachers, may they be able to teach us about values which we should follow.
- for our Sunday School at St Mary's and our spiritual leaders: may they be able to share with us the secrets of the Kingdom of God.
- for our local community in Twickenham: may we live in peace and support the most vulnerable among us.
We conclude with the Lord's Prayer:
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.