FROM THE ARCHIVES
Unravelling our history
The history of St Mary’s, located beside the Thames at the centre of Twickenham, is evident in a wide-ranging collection of documents dating back over many centuries. These include records relating to the rebuilding of the church after its collapse in 1714, leases and bequests, minutes and accounts for the church vestry, the PCC and Overseers of the Poor, licences, tithe maps, 19th century bibles and prayer books, the history of the bells, the early charity schools, service records, books, correspondence and parish magazines, as well as portraits of vicars, photographs and film of building works and events. The registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Funerals, dating from 1538, are currently lodged with the London Metropolitan Archives and are available to consult there and online.