Virtual Sunday School- 26th April 2020
The Third Sunday of Easter- The road to Emmaus
Part 1. Children aged 3-7
1. A prayer with parents: "Lord Jesus, you are present in our house and you walk with us every day. Help us to see your love and be grateful for all your gifts of love. Amen"
2. Let's remind ourselves where we are with Jesus. Two Sundays ago something important has happened as Jesus is now alive! Every Sunday he comes to different people and says to them: " I love you and I am with you". Today's story is about his walk with two disciples to a certain little town.
3. Before we go any further: how do we recognise our loved ones? Can you name what colour your Mum's eyes are? What colour are your Dad's eyes? What is your brother or sister's favourite food? Where do you Grandma and Grandpa live? The two disciples were not able to recognise Jesus, let's looks at the story:
4. A prayer together:
We pray for
- all members of our family with their names.
- all children, especially those who miss their Grampdas and Gramdmas.
- all our teachers.
- our neighbours, doctors, nurses
- all people who are not well
- all animals.
A Craft idea for ALL age groups (siblings, parents and care givers have a go as well!): Draw around your shoe on a piece of card and cut out the shape, make three holes and thread through pipecleaners/string to make a flip flop ( a good way to make holes is by putting blue tack or playdough under the card where you want to make your hole, and then pushing a pencil through the card into the tack). Write 'walk with Jesus' on your creation and decorate how you wish. See if you can wear your flip flop on bare feet!
This is a reminder about how we always walk with Jesus, even though we can't see him.
Older children (8+)
1. The opening prayer: "Lord Jesus, in the light of your Resurrection we believe that you share our journey. Help us to see your presence and blessing in our daily life. Amen.
2. So far in isolation, what do you find the most exciting? Boring? What are your joys? Hopes? Do you wish to go back to school? All your feelings, joys and even worries can help you to recognise that God is with you.
3. Third Sunday after Easter, yet another encounter with Jesus. First the story:
4. Why could the disciples not recognise Jesus? What blocked their perception? Look at the image below and tell your family what you see? How can faith in Jesus help us to recognise His presence?
Dear Lord, today we pray:
- for all members of our family (we add their names), for our teachers and friends from the school
- we pray for St Mary's church, different groups.
- we pray for the humble people who work in hospitals, who clean our streets
- we remember those who suffer
- we pray for your grace to support us each day
Thank you! Piotr
Revd Dr Piotr Ashwin-Siejkowski Assistant Priest/School Chaplain http://st-marys.richmond.sch.uk/